Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments
● By Rick McGarry
Here is a Christmas craft that you can easily whip up in your own kitchen, using common ingredients and personal favorite craft item: cookie cutters. These wonderfully fragrant ornaments can be made with either homemade or store-bought applesauce. Your family will enjoy the delicious aroma throughout the holiday season!
• Rolling pin
• Cookie cutters
• Cookie sheet
• Spatula• Yarn/ribbon
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175°.
2. Children can help mix the applesauce and cinnamon. (We started with 1/2 cup of each.)
3. Knead the dough into a ball and roll it out until it is about ¼” to ½” inch thick. You may wish to do this on a piece of wax paper. My kids loved helping with this step, and Mia (6) said, “It’s a lot like play dough.” (Tip: If your dough sticks to the rolling pin as ours did, keep adding cinnamon until the consistency is easier to work with.)
4. Press cookie cutters into the rolled dough. We ended up with 7 cut-outs and a small amount left over. I rolled that into a ball and flattened it into a circle. Logan (4) wanted to do a handprint in his ornament, but it didn’t work with the stickiness of this dough.
5. Use a straw to poke a hole in each ornament. Children can help with this step, but make sure that the holes go all the way through the dough and that they are not too close to the edges. (Tip: We used re-usable plastic drinking straws, but you can also use disposable plastic straws or pencils to poke a hole in the dough.)
6. Using a spatula, carefully slide your ornaments onto a baking sheet, and bake for 1 hour. (Tip: If the dough gets slightly misshapen, just gently fix it with your fingers before placing the ornaments into the oven.)
7. After baking, remove from the oven. Leave the ornaments on the cookie sheet to air dry for an additional 24 to 48 hours. (They will be very soft so avoid moving them before they have time to harden.)
8. Once the ornaments have hardened, add ribbon or yarn and display them on your Christmas tree. These also make nice gifts and can be used as gift tags, too.